Patient Journey, Workflow Analysis & Concept Development. Cardiology Pharmacology Decision Support
Posted on: 18th June 2020
The Client & Business Challenge:
Our client was a global pharmaceutical company who had recently developed a novel cardiology drug.
The drug was approved for a number of indications in Europe and North America but had been launched across markets with varying penetration. The main barrier to its success was the long-standing presence of a generic drug which was significantly cheaper. Despite the existing drug therapy had more limitations and required frequent POC patient testing, there also were more established providers and reimbursement frameworks which created significant inertia and some resistance to adoption of the new therapy.
The key objectives of the study were centred on gathering insights to inform the most appropriate strategy for our client and identifying partnering opportunities to increase adoption of the new drug. Three key global markets were prioritized for this research, and in order to achieve the main goals for this project the approach was broken down into four modules:
• Module 1: Internal & KOL Investigation (gaining internal & KOL perspective on current market)
• Module 2: EMR/CIS Desk Research & Vendor Interviews (market overview, understanding key players & indicative share by segment)
• Module 3: Interim Meeting (developing discussion guide & concept stimulus for module 4)
• Module 4: End User Clinician Research (strategy development)
The Results and Impact:
Our team was able to capture significant insights to address the companies most pressing needs and better inform their long-term strategy for the success of their drug. The data collected enabled us to present findings on:
• The feasibility of EMRs & Cardiology Information Systems to drive prescription of the novel therapy in key market segments
• The presence-of and access-to EMRs for each of the key market segments (hospital cardiology, office cardiology, GP/FP) including relevant cardiology indications, applications & decision support
• Penetration & market share of major system providers
• Legal & regulatory framework around decision support
• Perceptions of EMR & CIS providers towards decision support, approach to 3rd party collaboration & integration and level of interest in participation
• Current practices, prescription behaviours and patient workflows around target indications by physicians, use of EMR/CIS in the treatment of these patients and response to decision support in general/specific to the patient indication
• Concept and strategy development & perception testing, strengths/weaknesses
The outputs were presented to the client at their global headquarters. During the meeting our team discussed recommendations on approach, targeting, messaging and partner strategy. As a result of these outcomes the client decided to initiate contact between the selected partners and began a partnering process to increase the success of their novel cardiology drug.